Blue and green areas for citizens wellbeing and health
The Villa Revedin Bolasco was erected by Count Francesco Revedin between 1852 and 1865 and designed by the famous Venetian architect, Giambattista Meduna. Instead of going for the typical Italian garden, Count Revedin insisted on making a grand English garden to complement his new villa. In addition to the Meduna, other well-known landscape architects of the time (i.e., Francesco Bagnara, Marc Guignon, and Antonio Caregaro Negrin) provided their contribution. The English garden features a variety of meadows, ponds, hills and tree groups. In the background to the North stands the splendid cavallerizza – a riding arena, crowned by 52 statues in total, with two equestrian statues on top of high stands greeting visitors at the entrance. The garden is guarded by the turret at the West entrance and the turret at the East wall. The garden is internationally known and has received a prize as best Italian garden in 2018.
Villa Revedin Bolasco is owned by the University of Padova (UoP) and has been recently restored. The garden of the Villa borders the main city hospital and a dedicated house for elderly people, as well as an Urban Day Care Centre for people affected by Alzheimer’s disease, which opened in 2016. The municipality of Castelfranco Veneto, along with the University of Padova and Veneto Region, will establish a local observatory on the “Therapeutic effect of the Landscape”. A project to improve the accessibility and usability of this valuable asset has been approved already by the municipality.
Six Visionary Solutions will be financed under VARCITIES, with the objectives to create a blue and green areas for citizens wellbeing and health and develop a “Local Observatory on therapeutic effects of the landscape”.
The engagement of local stakeholders in Castelfranco Veneto, particularly in 2022, was carried out with different methodologies and techniques. Indeed, the Castelfranco Veneto team has addressed the challenge through a combination of public town hall meetings, feedback forms, as well as ad hoc issue-specific working groups. Since June 2021, several co-creation initiatives have been organised on Castelfranco Veneto with Pilot experts University of Padova, Eurac Research, and UNISMART, in order to introduce and implement the Visionary Solutions with the support of local stakeholders.
- June 2021: First Co-creation Workshop in order to introduce, validate and refine the VS with the local stakeholders
- November 2021: Second Co-creation Workshop with the aim of collecting feedback on the updated VS from a wide range of stakeholders
- January 2022: Meetings among pilot experts and municipality representatives
- May 2022: Spring in Villa Bolasco 2022 event with two rounds of Focus groups and workshops with the aim to collect:
- feedbacks from each stakeholder group on the hypnotized changes generated by VARCITIES – Outcomes Validation stage (05-06.05.22)
- data related to the impact the project will bring in terms of number of subjects and percentage of attribution to other entities who can generate the same outcomes considered (14-15.06.22)
- May 2023: Festival Varcities organised as the Town Hall Event
The participatory process integrated several stakeholder engagement meetings to perform a Social Return on Investment (SROI) Analysis, which required consistent involvement of local actors. Eurac Research has organised several focus groups and workshops with the key stakeholder groups in order to investigate what are the benefits of Visionary Solutions from a social perspective.